Parents should get children’s school, sports physicals now

| May 14, 2010 | 0 Comments

Tripler Army Medical Center
News Release

HONOLULU — While the 2009-2010 public school year ends May 26, it’s not too early to prepare for the new school year.

Parents are encouraged to get required school physicals done now, to avoid the rush before the new school year begins, Aug. 2. 

Children enrolled with Tripler Army Medical Center’s Pediatric and Adolescent clinics may get their required school and sports physicals at their primary care clinics at Tripler during mass walk-in clinics, June 5, July 20 and Aug. 14, 9 a.m.–2 p.m.  

Normal Saturday clinics will be cancelled on these days.

Parents of children enrolled at Schofield Barracks Health Clinic should call to make appointments with their primary care managers during normal clinic hours. 

Parents whose children have food allergies or other special health care needs should also call the schools where their children are being registered, to ask if special forms need to be completed by their child’s doctor. 

Within one year before entering a school in Hawaii, preschool through 12th grade, students must have a physical exam performed by a U.S. licensed medical doctor (M.D. or  D.O.), an advanced-practice registered nurse, or a physician’s assistant. 

Children participating in organized sports through the school will need a sports physical exam. 

Children changing grades in the same school do not need a school or sports physical. 

However, all children should have an annual checkup, which can be scheduled at any time during the year.

A child who has had an annual checkup in the past eight months does not need another exam. The child’s parent or guardian can drop off the required form(s) at the clinic where the child received the care, and the physician will fill out the forms. 

Completed form(s) are usually ready within three working days.

Parents or guardians should bring any forms provided by the school, special forms for medication and immunization records to the appointment. 

If the child is already in the Hawaii school system, bring a copy of the child’s last Department of Education Form 14, as it includes required immunization data. 

If a parent is unable to get an appointment before school starts, he or she can bring the child to the Family Practice or Pediatrics clinics on a walk-in basis for needed immunizations. 

Hawaii public schools will allow the child to start school, if the child has all of the required immunizations and either a completed DoE Form 14 or a note from the health care provider’s office stating that an appointment is scheduled within 30 days of entering the school. 

For information about physical exams or form completion, call the Tripler Army Medical Center’s Pediatrics Clinic at 433-9728, the Adolescent Clinic at 433-4165, the Schofield Barracks Health Clinic at 433-8175/8155, or consult with your doctor. 

For more information about the state’s requirements for enrollment in public schools, visit or and search for “school health requirements.”

Category: Community

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *