Fire in AMR community causes $64,000 damage

| July 29, 2010 | 0 Comments

Victor Flint
Federal Fire Department-Hawaii

A kitchen fire in a home at Aliamanu Military Reservation, July 18, caused $64,000 in fire, smoke and water damage. (Courtesy Photo)JOINT BASE PEARL HARBOR-HICKAM — A fire that started in the kitchen of a home, July 18, at Aliamanu Military Reservation, caused $54,000 in fire, smoke and water damage.

No injuries to personnel resulted from the fire, thanks to the quick response from neighbors who called 911.

The fire was contained to the kitchen; although an additional $10,000 in water and smoke damage was caused to the neighboring housing unit.

According to the fire investigator with Federal Fire Department-Hawaii, the fire was accidental and caused by unattended cooking.

The Federal Fire Department encourages families to maintain awareness in the kitchen and keep cooking areas safe by never leaving cooking unattended, not even for a minute.

When cooking, you should keep a lid handy to cover a pan or pot if a fire begins. Also, you should turn handles inward to prevent tipping. 

Never place water on a grease fire.

For more fire safety tips, call 471-3303, ext. 633.

Category: Community, Safety

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *