Straight Talk: Community urged to take proper steps to report an accident

| February 18, 2011 | 0 Comments

Chris Graves
Deputy Director, Directorate of Emergency Services




SCHOFIELD BARRACKS — In recent months, we have seen an increase in traffic accidents.

While most are minor, or less than $500 in damage, an accident is still an accident and causes undue stress.

No matter how safely you drive, chances are that someday you’ll be involved in an accident. Regardless of who is at fault, it’s important that you know what to do and what you are legally required to do.

First, you must stop at the scene of the accident or as close to the scene as possible, without blocking traffic. Even before the arrival of police, you may move the vehicles if they are a traffic hazard.

Second, give any help you can, if someone is obviously injured. Don’t attempt to move an injured person from a wrecked vehicle, unless you have the necessary medical training or there is another immediate danger, such as a fire.

Third, report the accident to the police as quickly as possible. This reporting includes accidents that occur on private property that involve personal injury or death.

Fourth, exchange information with other individuals involved in the accident, as soon as possible. This information exchange includes the name, address and driver’s license number of other drivers; license plate numbers; names and addresses of anyone injured; names and addresses of any witnesses; and the name, address and insurance policy number from the other vehicle’s owner. Be sure to notify your own insurance company, immediately.

If you have had an accident with an unattended vehicle, you must make a reasonable effort to find the owner of the vehicle or the owner of the property that may be damaged as a result of the accident. If no one can be located, leave a note that can be easily found at the scene of the accident. Include your name, address, driver’s license number, the date and time of the accident and an estimate of the damages. You must also report the accident to the police.

Report emergencies by calling 911, the Schofield Barracks Military Police Station at 655-7114 or the Fort Shafter MP Station at 438-7114.

Tags: ,

Category: News, Police Call, Safety, Standing Columns

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *