Military service can help Soldiers gain U.S. naturalization

| April 28, 2011 | 0 Comments

8th Theater Sustainment Command
Staff Judge Advocate Office

8th TSC

8th TSC

HONOLULU — Current members of the U.S. armed forces who are permanent residents may be eligible for naturalization through their military service, under Section 329 of the Immigration and Nationality Act.

Qualifying military service is generally in the U.S. Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps and Coast Guard, and certain components of the National Guard and the select Reserve units.

Service members should complete Form N-400, Application for Naturalization, and Form N-426, Request for Certification of Military or Naval Service, to apply for naturalization based on military service.

Service members are not charged for filing or biometrics fees.  Every military installation should have a designated point of contact to handle the application and certify the Request for Certification of Military or Naval Service.

Service members will need to get fingerprints taken as part of the application process. Active duty military members do not need an appointment and will be accepted on a walk-in basis at any Application Support Center, or ACS, in the U.S. Bring your military identification card. Once the packet is complete, submit it to the Nebraska Service Center. Once your application is received, NSC will review the application and send it to the U.S. Citizen and Immigration Services office closest to your location. The USCIS office will set a date to interview you to determine your eligibility for naturalization.

If your application for naturalization is approved, USCIS will inform you of the date you can take the oath of allegiance.

If you need to rush paperwork due to a pending military deployment, extreme emergency or humanitarian situation, contact the local USCIS office or the USCIS Military Help Line. If you are set to deploy and have not submitted your application, write in bold letters “I HAVE AN UPCOMING DEPLOYMENT” at the top of your application.

Naturalization POCs

If you need further immigration assistance, consult a legal assistance attorney at 655-8607, or visit the local USCIS/ACS office at 500 Ala Moana Blvd., Building 2, Room 429, Honolulu.

  • The first Friday of the month is military day at the USCIS office; service members may walk in to receive assistance without an appointment.
  • Naturalization forms can be found at
  • The application POC is James Castillo at the Soldier Support Center, Building 750, Schofield Barracks, or call 655-7182.
  • Mail completed packets to NSC, P.O. Box 87426, Lincoln, NE 68501-7426.
  • The USCIS Military Help Line is available at (877) 247-4645.


Category: News, Staff Judge Advocate (SJA)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *