USAG-HI preserves history

| May 13, 2011 | 0 Comments
A group gathers to pose for a photograph, after moving Soldiers’ Chapel to its current location on Schofield Barracks, July 9, 1925. (Courtesy Photo)

A group gathers to pose for a photograph, after moving Soldiers’ Chapel to its current location on Schofield Barracks, July 9, 1925. (Courtesy Photo)

U.S. Army Garrison-Hawaii
Directorate of Public Works 

HONOLULU — The U.S. Army Garrison-Hawaii received high praise for two historic preservation projects during the 2011 Preservation Honor Awards ceremony, held at the Queen’s Conference Center, here, recently.

The Historic Hawaii Foundation gives the Preservation Honor Awards for outstanding achievement in historic preservation, and they are the pre-eminent awards for such work in Hawaii.

USAG-HI received a Preservation Honor Award for its rehabilitation of Soldiers’ Chapel at Schofield Barracks, and an award for the renovation of the Eisenhower House at the Kilauea Military Camp on the Big Island.

Kenneth Hays, architectural historian, USAG-HI, was recognized for his oversight of the Soldiers’ Chapel preservation project.

The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers-Honolulu District, and the general contractor for the project, were also recognized for their contributions to the management and work carried out on the project.

The chapel was constructed in 1913, and it was a gift to the Army from the last reigning monarch, Queen Liliuokalani. The chapel is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and is part of the historic district at Schofield Barracks.

The chapel originally sat some distance away from its existing location and was moved in 1925 to its current site. The church has changed very little since the 1920s, and the renovation team’s aim was to keep its old look and feel.

Many of the church’s original features were maintained, and the 1913-cast bell was kept in the spire. The 200-seat wooden chapel was featured in the 1970s movie “Tora! Tora! Tora!,” and it is a familiar and venerated place for generations of Army Soldiers. The historic building still functions as an installation chapel for services and weddings today.

On behalf of USAG-HI, Peter Yuh, chief, Conservation Section, Environmental Division, Directorate of Public Works; and Dr. Laurie Lucking, manager, Cultural Resources, DPW, received awards for the Eisenhower House project.

Awards were also given to Randy Hart, director, KMC; and Roger Panzer, DPW, for their exceptional work they performed.

Hays was again recognized for his work on the interior design of the project.

The 1936 cabin received much-needed repairs and upgrades. KMC staff completed the carpentry, electrical, plumbing and finishing work.

Hart said he was especially proud of his staff’s efforts and skills in the high-quality work and craftsmanship found throughout the house, and that the Presentation Award is a notable honor that pays tribute to the hard work and dedication of all who were involved.

Gen. Dwight Eisenhower vacationed at the cabin after the end of World War II in the European theater. Since that time, the cabin was known as the Eisenhower House. The 1946 photos of the home that were taken during Eisenhower’s stay were used to restore many features of house.

The rehabilitation restored many aspects of the historic property, keeping the house’s original elements in their post-war era character, including doors, windows, exterior siding, a lava-stone fireplace and chimney, as well as replicating the home’s original hardwood floors, window seats and even drapes.

The house is currently used as a vacation cabin for military personnel and their families.

Tags: , , , ,

Category: News

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *