Patrons shouldn’t forget to update their DEERS

| October 21, 2014 | 0 Comments

News Release

The lives of service members and their families are full of transitions.

Tricare logo

Tricare logo

Whether transitions are permanent change of station moves, retiring, going from Reserve status to active duty, or something else, the one constant is change.

The good news is that your TRICARE coverage can stick with you through these life changes, but you do have to make sure that your records in the Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System, or DEERS, are up to date with your latest life events.

This fact means you should keep all your personal information — address, duty status, phone numbers and email addresses — up to date.

It’s important to review DEERS as soon as possible whenever you move or experience one of the following life events: activation, deactivation, separation or retirement, and becoming Medicare eligible.

One thing you can’t update yourself in DEERS is your duty status; only your service can make those updates. Whenever you have a change in your duty status, check DEERS to make sure it’s accurate.

Other life events that can affect your TRICARE eligibility and require you to update DEERS include marriage or divorce, birth or adoption of a child, and change in a student’s full-time enrollment status.

Many DEERS updates require supporting documentation, including marriage, birth or death certificates, Medicare cards and Social Security Administration notification letters and orders or DD Forms 214/discharge orders.

• Resources
Changing your contact information in DEERS is easy and can be done at milConnect (, by fax or mail, or in person at the nearest uniformed services identification (ID) card office. You can find your nearest ID card offices online with the RAPIDS Site Locator at

For more DEERS information, go to

Tags: ,

Category: Community, Health

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *