Sunrise hike highlights USACE-HD 111th anniversary

| April 29, 2016 | 0 Comments
Led by Honolulu District Commander Lt. Col. Christopher Crary (third from left), District Deputy Commander Brennan Wallace (second from right), and Pacific Ocean Division Command Sgt. Maj. Yolanda Tate (fourth from left), more than 25 District teammates, friends and families and Pacific Ocean Division employees, hiked to Oahu's Makapu'u Lighthouse to view the sunrise on April 15 in celebration of the 111th anniversary of the District’s founding.

Led by Honolulu District Commander Lt. Col. Christopher Crary (third from left), District Deputy Commander Brennan Wallace (second from right), and Pacific Ocean Division Command Sgt. Maj. Yolanda Tate (fourth from left), more than 25 District teammates, friends and families and Pacific Ocean Division employees, hiked to Oahu’s Makapu’u Lighthouse to view the sunrise on April 15 in celebration of the 111th anniversary of the District’s founding.


Story and photo by

Dino W. Buchanan
U.S. Army Corps of Engineers
Honolulu District Public Affairs

HONOLULU — Led by Honolulu District Commander Lt. Col. Christopher Crary, District Deputy Commander Brennan Wallace, and Pacific Ocean Division Command Sgt. Maj. Yolanda Tate, more than 25 District teammates, friends and families and Pacific Ocean Division employees hiked to Oahu’s Makapu’u Lighthouse to view the sunrise on April 15 in celebration of the 111th anniversary of the District’s founding.

Capt. James Apps, Capt. Alberto Baez and Capt. Dane Hanson also participated in the hike to the lighthouse.

Tracing history
The Corps’ history in Hawaii and the Pacific began in 1905 when Lt. John Slattery became the District’s first commander. His original mission was to construct lighthouses for navigation, like Makapu’u.

Makapu’u Lighthouse was built by the Corps in 1909 on a 600-foot sea cliff overlooking Makapu’u Beach in southeast Oahu.

Makapu’u Point is an important location passed by all ships moving between Honolulu and the U.S. mainland.

The critical need for this light was demonstrated in August 1906 when the 27,000-ton S.S. Manchuria ran up on a reef off the point. Congress had already appropriated $60,000 for the light on Oct. 1, 1909.

The lens for this light was one of the wonders of the Pacific. Press clips of the time noted that the lens, which had been exhibited at the Jamestown Exposition, was one of the most expensive in the world.

The lighthouse is 46-feet-tall and was fully automated in 1974. It is still an active U.S. Coast Guard navigation aid in use today.

As “America’s Engineers in the Pacific,” the District’s civil works, military construction and environmental missions evolved over time – in periods of peace and war – for over 100 years. Today, the Honolulu District is a full-service District, providing a wide range of timely, effective, innovative solutions to meet customers’ engineering, construction and environmental needs.

The Honolulu District has seven primary missions: Military Construction, Civil Works, Interagency and International Services, Real Estate, Regulatory, Environmental Services, and Emergency Management. Honolulu District also offers project management, design, construction management, contracting, cost engineering and more.

The Honolulu District’s area of operations is enormous – crossing five time zones, the international dateline and approximately 12 million square miles of the Pacific Ocean – and includes the territories of Guam, American Samoa and the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands, as well as the Freely Associated States, including the Republic of Palau, the Federated States of Micronesia and the Republic of the Marshall Islands.

Tags: , , , ,

Category: Community, Observances

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *