VA announces rollout for new veterans ID card

| February 8, 2018 | 2 Comments
Veterans plate.

Veterans plate.

Veterans Affairs
News Release

WASHINGTON — The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs has announced that the application process for the national Veterans Identification Card, or VIC, is now available for veterans – yet another action honoring their service.

This has been mandated through legislation since 2015 to honor veterans, and the recent rollout of the ID card fulfills that overdue promise.

Only those veterans with honorable service will be able to apply for the ID card, which will provide proof of military service and may be accepted by retailers in lieu of the standard DD 214 form to obtain promotional discounts and other services where offered to veterans.

“The new Veterans Identification Card provides a safer and more convenient and efficient way for most veterans to show proof of service,” said VA Secretary Dr. David J. Shulkin. “With the card, veterans with honorable service to our nation will no longer need to carry around their paper DD 214s to obtain veteran discounts and other services.”

The VIC provides a more portable and secure alternative for those who served the minimum obligated time in service, but did not meet the retirement or medical discharge threshold. Veterans who served in the armed forces, including the reserve components, and who have a discharge of honorable or general (under honorable conditions) can request a VIC.

More Online
To request a VIC, veterans must visit, click on “Apply for Printed Veteran ID Card (” on the bottom left of the page, and then sign in or create an account.

Veterans who apply for a card should receive it within 60 days and can check delivery status of their cards at

Tags: ,

Category: News

Comments (2)

Trackback URL | Comments RSS Feed

  1. Richard says:

    To whom it may concern,
    Good morning! I’m trying to help a friend of mine that served in US Navy for 17yrs. He told me that he dont have ID to get on base to use the NEX or Commissary. My question is, what does he need to do in order for him to get ID? He’s been out since 2013 and now living in Hawaii. Thank you in advance!

    • haw says:

      Hello, Richard — If your friend is authorized to use the Exchange or Commissary, he would have an ID card that allows entrance to an installation and these stores. The Exchange and Commissary are privileges reserved for active duty, retired, Reserve and Guard personnel. HAW Staff.

Leave a Reply to haw Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *