Veterans, caregivers required to obtain pass for Tripler access

| February 22, 2018 | 1 Comment

Kristen Wong
Contributing Writer

WHEELER ARMY AIRFIELD — The Directorate of Emergency Services at U.S. Army Garrison-Hawaii is currently working with the Veterans Affairs Pacific Islands Health Care System to ensure all veterans and caregivers (including the drivers of the vehicle entering Tripler) obtain a controlled access pass (CAP) to enter Tripler Army Medical Center.

As of June 1, 2018, all veterans should have this pass.

Tom Burke, the operations chief for DES, said he found out in November of last year that veterans were using their Veteran Health Information Cards to access the center.

Army Directive 2014-05, entitled “Policy and Implementation Procedures for Common Access Card Credentialing and Installation Access for Uncleared Contractors,” outlines the proper identification needed for access to an installation.

“Full compliance to Army policy is defined as vetting all Non-DOD affiliated personnel through NCIC-III (National Crime Information Center) and issuing a local ID badge, and having an established access denial waiver program,” according to Installation Management Command Operations Order 15-031.

“It’s just important that we comply with the directives that we’ve been given and to ensure that everybody who visits a military installation has the proper vetting,” Burke said. “The need for access is why it’s so important in order for us as a garrison to be in full compliance with these regulations.”

Veterans and their caregivers do not need a CAP if they have a retired military ID, a military dependent ID, a common access card or personal identity verification card.

To obtain a CAP, which is valid for two years, veterans and caregivers must bring proof of their Social Security number and a valid driver’s license or state ID.

Background checks can take up to 30 days. In the event that the veteran or caregiver is ineligible for a CAP due to an issue in their background check, they can still access the Leeward Community Based Outpatient Clinic.

“We want to ensure every veteran that we will work with them so they may continue to receive the health care that they need,” said Amy Rohlfs, the public affairs officer of the VA Pacific Islands Health Care System.

For more information, call the VA call center at 1-800-214-1306 or visit

Locations to Obtain a CAP
• Spark M. Matsunaga Ambulatory Care Center
459 Patterson Road, (808) 433-0600 or (800) 214-1306
Availability: Monday through Friday between 8 a.m. and 3 p.m.
• U.S. Army Garrison-Hawaii Visitor Control Center (VCC)
Bldg. 6508, 199 Leilehua Road, Wahiawa, (808) 655-1620
Availability: VCC open Monday through Friday between 7:30 a.m. and 3 p.m.
Note: The VCC is closed daily from 11 a.m. to noon.
• Vet Mobile at Oahu Veteran Center
1298 Kukila St., (808) 422-4000
Availability: Every third Thursday of the month
Note: VAPIHCS will contact veterans and their caregivers to pick-up pass.

Tags: , ,

Category: News

Comments (1)

Trackback URL | Comments RSS Feed

  1. I notice no where in the article and announcement is the word “homeless” ?
    In Hawaii, roughly 12% of all of the homeless are veterans. Many without any types of ID’s
    2016 – Page 8, 12.3% – state wide, 11.4% Honolulu
    All reports, 11 years –

    “veterans and caregivers must bring proof of their Social Security number and a valid driver’s license or state ID”

    Because of the Federal REAL (stupid) ID ACT, it is now illegal to give a homeless person a State ID because part of the requirements are to have 2 pieces of postal Mail delivered to your HOME address. Documents requested are Utility bills.

    How does a homeless veteran, living on the street, get 2 “utility bills” sent postal mail to their “home” address in order to get a state ID ?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *