Honolulu introduces appointment system to shorten wait for driver’s license

| April 18, 2018 | 12 Comments

City & County of Honolulu
News Release

HONOLULU — The Department of Customer Services announces that it has initiated an appointment system to help eliminate the wait time for driver license transactions.

O‘ahu residents should go to license.honolulu.gov to see when and where appointments are available.

“We have been studying the way that our residents do business with city government and we are aiming to change it for the better,” said Customer Services Director Sheri Kajiwara. “This will require revising expectations on both sides.

These are the items needed to apply for a driver's license at a satellite city hall. (Courtesy photo)

These are the items needed to apply for a driver’s license at a satellite city hall. (Courtesy photo)

“A driver license can be renewed up to six months before expiration while retaining your birthday validity date. For most people, renewals come up only once every eight years. We are asking people not to wait until the last minute, but to find a time to come in and get the job done by appointment.”

Much like making an appointment to see a doctor or dentist, O‘ahu residents can now go online to make an appointment to renew or replace a driver’s license. Appointments can be scheduled up to one month in advance at license.honolulu.gov.

O‘ahu residents can also apply for an exact duplicate driver’s license or instruction permit from the convenience of their mobile device or home computer at license.honolulu.gov. The online service is only for an exact duplicate of a driver’s license or instruction permit.

The online system will not allow changes to address, name or other information and can only be mailed to the address on file. The online fee for a duplicate license or permit is $6 plus a non-refundable service fee of $1. Payment must be made by credit or debit card.

Tags: ,

Category: Community, Safety

Comments (12)

Trackback URL | Comments RSS Feed

1. kathleen sato says:

cant seem to get to site to make appt. for license renewal appt. Wish to schedule for the fort St. site.

• haw says:

Hello, Kathleen — You will need to follow the prompts at the site or call a satellite city hall. Our staff only provides the information. HAW staff.

2. Seung Ji Robert Lee says:

Please let me know how to make an appointment to renew my driver’s license.

3. Paul says:

I spoke with someone at the Windward City satellite about making an appt to renew my Driver’s license…
    They said I need to do it on line…
    At this website. Now what?

• haw says:

Hello, Paul — This is the U.S. Army’s Hawaii Army Weekly website. You need to access the City and County of Honolulu’s Satellite City Hall. HAW Staff.

4. Edmund Kawakone says:

I waste more time going online to make an appointment to re-new my driver’s license. Why does DMV make simple things so difficult?

5. GERALD J BOYCE says:

your system is not letting giving me support
    please reply by e mail thank you ALOHA

6. Amelia C. Lee says:

My birthday is March. I would like to make an appointment to renew my driver license in Jan. I will be out of twon from 12/9, 2018-1/6, 2019. How can I get to the Januaray calendar? Thanks for your prompt reply.

• haw says:

Hello, Amelia — Make at an appointment for an ID card at this site: https://www.garrison.hawaii.army.mil/dhr/default.htm#MPD. Click “Military Personnel Division” and “ID Card/Passport.” Make an appointment at “here” on the “Click here for ID Card appointment tips.” You may read further down, at “Alternate ID Card Facilities on Oahu” to find the several locations where you can get an ID card updated. HAW Staff.