RSSCommunity

Molinari recalls her husband being in the bathroom, with the razor

Molinari recalls her husband being in the bathroom, with the razor

| August 30, 2018 | 0 Comments

Recently, while scraping the toothpaste plops out of our bathroom sink, I had an epiphany.

Continue Reading

Daniel K. Akaka Food Show continues traditions for commissaries

Daniel K. Akaka Food Show continues traditions for commissaries

| August 29, 2018 | 0 Comments

Twenty-one years ago, Sen. Daniel Akaka had a vision to introduce local businesses and products into the vast chain of military commissaries and exchanges.

Continue Reading

Military OneSource now available to veterans, families a full year after separating

Military OneSource now available to veterans, families a full year after separating

| August 28, 2018 | 0 Comments

The Department of Defense announced today it will extend eligibility for Military OneSource benefits from the current 180 days to 365 days after separation or retirement from military service to ensure all service members and families have access to comprehensive support as they transition to civilian life. 

Continue Reading

All public schools, HIDOE offices to close Thursday, Friday statewide

All public schools, HIDOE offices to close Thursday, Friday statewide

| August 22, 2018 | 0 Comments

Hawaii public schools and Hawaii State Department of Education (HIDOE) offices statewide will be closed Thursday and Friday as Hurricane Lane approaches the islands as a powerful Category 4 storm.

Continue Reading

Getting off tobacco road leads to renewed relief

Getting off tobacco road leads to renewed relief

| August 13, 2018 | 0 Comments

I always thought about quitting smoking. I hated the taste, the smell on my clothes, the constant coughing and belabored breathing. But I thought it made me feel better emotionally — even though I felt worse physically.

Continue Reading

IRS urges taxpayers to check withholding now

IRS urges taxpayers to check withholding now

| August 10, 2018 | 0 Comments

With the year more than halfway over, the Internal Revenue Service urges taxpayers who haven’t yet done a “Paycheck Checkup” to take a few minutes to see if they are having the right amount of tax withholding following major changes in the tax law.

Continue Reading

Molinari wonders, ‘Can’t we all just get along?’

Molinari wonders, ‘Can’t we all just get along?’

| August 8, 2018 | 0 Comments

Last year, after my husband, Francis, transitioned out of the military and and we moved off base, I had to find new friends. Again. This isn’t easy at age 52, when most of my peers have well-established social circles with little room for newbies.

Continue Reading

Exchange warns shoppers about ‘Exchange Inc.’ scams

Exchange warns shoppers about ‘Exchange Inc.’ scams

| August 8, 2018 | 0 Comments

The Army & Air Force Exchange Service is warning military shoppers about scammers offering to broker the sale of used cars, trucks, motorcycles, boats and boat engines through the Department of Defense retailer using the name “Exchange Inc.”

Continue Reading

Communities should remain prepared for hurricanes

Communities should remain prepared for hurricanes

| August 6, 2018 | 0 Comments

National Weather Service (NWS) is issuing advisories on Hurricane Hector, located about 1770 miles east-southeast of Hilo. Based on recent forecasts, Hector was expected to move into the Central Pacific, Aug. 5.

Continue Reading

‘Infofinder i’ web app provides school bus transportation information

‘Infofinder i’ web app provides school bus transportation information

| August 6, 2018 | 0 Comments

As part of the Hawaii State Department of Education’s ongoing effort to modernize Hawaii’s pupil transportation system, the Student Transportation Services Branch has launched a bus stop locator/bus schedule information web application called, “Infofinder i.”

Continue Reading